Sunday, July 25, 2010

Interview

I think I'm having second thoughts about signing up for the GIC finance day. My virgin interview wasn't as scary as I had imagined. The one thing that I was particularly targeted for was the lack of good results.

Who says academic qualifications ain't over-rated!

If I'm successful in the interview, that will then disprove my and many others' theory of academic qualifications being ever so important - which I highly doubt. But we shall just leave it to fate since the interview is over.

My mom seems to have suddenly realised that the local uni education ain't all that cheap afterall after last night from her friends. This is really a typical case of the aunties hearsay/gossip. And previously she was just saying it so easily of how she can support me till the day I am done in my pursuit of an education. And she still supported me studying overseas which would have the tuition fees coming up to more than 2-3x than local Unis. See, this is telling of how you should never blabber about something without having the slightest idea of what you are babbling about.

Why doesn't she believe me that reading does so much to increase one's perspective/knowledge?
We had some tensions debating how being educated and having moralistic views are not linked. Obviously I said they were linked, because the more well-read one is, the less narrow-minded one becomes which also implies that one's character and attitude would also be more accepting and forgiving to others' faults which translates into one being a more moral person!
She insisted that at the end of the day no matter how well-read one is, the morals is dependent on oneself.
Chanel, remember I was telling you of what the worst a person can show is contempt on one's face? That was how it was like; she totally negated what I said. Argh!
In a marriage situation, the easiest solution was divorce. But it's a kinship we're refering to here, how now?

I remember the interviewer asked me "Have you met a difficult person/faced a difficult situation?"

I said "oh definitely."
He went on "How did you solve it?"
So I said about compromising and he interrupted me with, "but is compromising really the best solution?"
My reply was "Compromising is the very first step I would take to rid the tension/anger because it's impossible to carry out a discussion when someone is angry. After a compromise has been made, then I would progress from there to have solutions that fit the needs of each party to dissolve the misunderstanding."

In my case with my mom, I compromised by letting her say her piece, but she took advantage of it because she saw it as me surrendering and then go on to negate my words when it was my turn to talk. It's really a difficult person in a difficult situation. The best way(to rid my own identity) is to submit to 'patriarchal' conventions since my mom has since assumed the patriarchal role - at least, only in her presence. So much for filial piety. It's merely a euphemism for submitting to patriarchal power.

No comments: