Friday, August 13, 2010

Crazy

It would be an overused word to describe the week, but it's the most apt. How national day and the additional holiday it brought to the students of Singapore have thankfully shortened the school week to a mere 3 days. I love skipping tuesdays. It's one of the worst waste-my-life days because of the endless breaks.

My mom always dispense her advice to me freely like a fountain. The one that has stuck with me throughout is her "凡事要拿得起,放得下" nugget of wisdom. Whenever an obstacle stand in my way, I take a detour by going around it, or sometimes when I feel strong enough, I climb over it. Then I realised an easier way out, if i'd put the baggage down before taking the detour or even climbing over it, it would have been a much easier journey for me.

And it's what I've done. I feel relieved and glad that looking back, the dots are all connecting now. It isn't the best of times with me struggling and stressing out over crossing each day out on my calendar counting down to Prelims, but it's good to push unnecessary worries out of the mind, and focus on what's more important. Especially in this last leg where everyone's close to losing their steam, I need to stay strong!

Sometimes I really wonder what's going on in my life, I guess it's what Will Smith said in Pursuit of Happyness, "This part of my life? This part right here? It's called being stupid."
I worry over nothing, when my mom has the world to worry about. It's time to open my ears to share her burden.
Her wish of being able to one day hear her children say this to her that "Working is of priority, but parents are above work, because without parents, I wouldn't even have today."
Be patient, I have 5 more years to go. I will be there. (And I hope you still can hear me say that to you, what with the TV volume getting incessantly loud by the months...)

It's getting to me. I notice every single detail of the signs of her aging. She has never forgotten about leaving her phone lying around, never forgotten about bills, never careless in the things she do. And these days, she don't remember where she has parked her car, things slip out of her hand mindlessly, interest charged for overdue bills and asking me the same question within 5 minutes until I remind her that she has just asked me that. It's time to grow up. And I will only be that much of a console to her until the man in the household decides to shoulder up his own responsibilities and be a man.

No comments: