Monday, September 27, 2010

The art of mind-reading

When I was reading the review Ash posted on the tagboard by ieatishootipost, I caught a paragraph of his that he delivered with much truth and a little bit of humour in it.

"Anyway, Amagada's tastebuds can be quite difficult to please. There have been so many occasions when I brought her to one of those "die die must try" places which I have blogged about only to be told that she felt it was quite ordinary. So I was under a lot of pressure to find a nice place to bring her for our anniversary dinner. Of course, she told me that flowers and dinner were not necessary, that we should save money lah, blah, blah blah. But take it from me guys, they might say "no", but often that "no" is often a test of your ability to read their thoughts. So, sometimes "no" means "No dinner huh? Next time you wait long long for your favourite Carrot Cake". But, sometimes "no" really means "no". So the secret of a good marriage is knowing when "no" means "no" and when it means otherwise. And that, unfortunately only comes through experience. So you can imagine how many times I kena from her in the early years of marriage."

I think it's not only applicable to marriage. It works in any relationship/friendship. It's the art of hitting the right nerve without damaging it. These sort of experience comes with age, and that explains my 'fetish', now... my secret is revealed.

My mom keeps going on about how worried she'll be for me because I am the hard to get married sort. The guy is already out there, we just haven't met. Hahahaha.

1 comment:

Ivan said...

yes you wait long long for your chai tow kueh.