Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Work

Nonchalance, my best and worst trait, has gotten me into hot soup. You see, when you care, people say you kaypo. When you don't care, people also got something to remark. When you guai lan act blur live longer, people start to stab you from behind.

I've seen how words can mutate and transform its meaning through different modes of conveyance at its worst (I hope it stays being the worst for now). When someone has the intention to harm, even the most pleasant statement can turn nasty.

When I stay away from all these politics at work, I get scolded for being too bo chup and kena stabbed from behind also don't stand up for myself. My conscience tells me there's really no point in pitting against someone 15 years older than I am. On the very first level, I have already won because I haven't stooped to such underhand means. It's even harder to stomach when such actions are being undertaken by someone so much older than I am. We would have expected more maturity right? Wrong. Wisdom and knowledge doesn't come with age. It's merely just a number if we fail to open our minds to learn.

At times, I do wonder, how far and how much guai lan-ness there is in me to sustain this adrenaline and drive to work on my own goals and ignore external factors. They are merely passing phases. And I realise, I do have quite an amount of that in me.

Let's just say, respect is earned; not demanded. Regardless of stature, age and culture.

No comments: