Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dreams

"The Cage of Dreams"

They didn't know that by sitting there watching the day go by, their biggest dreams were being trapped between the lines and the reflections...


You know what's even better than chasing your dreams? It's doing it while holding the hands of the one you love the most. Cliches like that have gotten me reflecting the changes that I've been subconsciously experiencing. It must have been the family upbringing, or that of my mom's in particular. The notion of success at a young age has been drilled into me. I have been designed to succeed in my life. Chasing dreams that I thought were mine... she has so skilfully conditioned my mind to pursue the best that I can be.

I have been hungry for knowledge, hungry for satisfaction and this insatiable appetite has been powered by an insane amount of drive to pursue my goals with slight falters. The accumulation of wealth and possessions, I once thought, would signify a mark of achievement. I thought it gave me satisfaction. And only until recent months... or probably slightly over a year, I have marked changes in the way I pursue things in my life. I have always sought for spiritual fulfillment. Filling up my soul with books of wisdom from an early age, I was contented with my comfortable life.

As I get busier with all my commitments, I have been rethinking the priorities in my life. Why have I, like everyone else, been sucked into this rat race of life? Of pursuing monetary gains, thinking it would eventually lead to satisfaction and ultimately happiness. Every waking moment of my life, I am spending it thinking of ways to earn more money. I want to complement it with my studies and pursue much more than peers would do at my age.

However, I feel a distance now and then. As I achieve more and more in my life, I don't find myself getting happier. I am getting wearier, almost as if thinning my soul. I feel just like a machine, powered to achieve perfection and precision. It gets so cold sometimes. Almost as if when I picture myself, I see a reflection of a shiny cool metal, gleaning in the distance.

I haven't felt warmth and love in a really long time.

I need to find my calling, I want to fill my soul up... it's been empty far too long. I don't know where to start. As much as I want passion and purpose in my life and having peace and serenity occasionally settling within, I find that these have been insufficient. I have lost myself chasing my dreams, which I suspect, probably aren't my dreams anyway...

No comments: