Sunday, April 21, 2013

On Lifestyles

An excerpt from Arnold Schwarzenegger's Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story

I promised myself that we would never have to use Maria's (at this particular chapter, she was his girlfriend who eventually became his wife) money - neither the money she earned nor any from her family. At that point, I was making $3 million for Predator, and if it did well at the box office, I'd earn $5 million for the next project and $10 million for the next, because we'd been able to nearly double my "ask" with every film.
I didn't know whether or not I'd end up richer than her grandfather Joseph P. Kennedy, but I felt very strongly that we would never have to rely on Shriver (Maria's family) or Kennedy money. What was Maria's was hers. I never asked how much she had. I never asked how much her parents were worth.
I hope that it was as much as they dreamed of having, but I had no interest in it.
I also knew Maria wouldn't want a two-bedroom rental apartment lifestyle. I had to provide her with a lifestyle similar to the way she'd grown up.

Haven't really given much in-depth thought about this topic before, maybe once or twice it has crossed my mind, but reading this excerpt triggered me to question how I should approach this. This is definitely just Arnold's point of view as a man with an Austrian background. What about the culture and context in Singapore? What about the times? That was during the 1960s. Has the progression of time shifted man's thoughts as well? I think the important question lies in this -what about the individuals involved? There is honestly no right or wrong. But there is something that nudges at one's comfort level. Are you being honest with yourself that you are / will be happy with the kind of lifestyle you want to live?

No comments: