Monday, April 16, 2007

The Past

Don't know why, the past few days i've been missing my childhood times so much. Especially those times i had spent with my uncle and cousins.

Both my parents were very workaholic during our(bro and i) young times. Back then, my uncle managed his own business so he had loads of time spent at home in his home office. He would always pick us up and drop us at his house to play with my 2 cousins.
I knew how delighted i was each time he called to say he was coming over to fetch us. We'd spend the rest of our afternoons at his house having fun with the 2 boys. Block catching, computer games, skating, badminton, football, the companion of his 2 dogs back then(from an aquarium to a Jack Russel, to 2 Miniature Schnauzers to an aquarium again for now), occupied most of our time.

He was the one who brought us swimming, booked badminton courts, introduced us to inline-skating. He brought us out for meals. He taught me to appreciate the oldies. Cos' whenever i'm being ferried around, he always tunes in to Class 95. Basically, he showered me with love and care, and treated me like his own daughter. I knew he loved me more than he loved my brother, cos' he had no daughter and always wanted one to pamper. Ha!

Until now, he still loves me as much and what pains me is that i've not been spending time with him already. It's kinda sad that when i've grown up, i seldom make an effort to see him.

He'd taught me to see a different side of living that i'd never see with my own parents.


Last time, many cousins were very jealous of us. The fact that both parents were workaholics, they were earning a stable income for my brother and i to live comfortably. My cousins always thought it was so unfair that we had a much bigger house to live in, a luxurious car, a maid and often had treats at restaurants. Back then, i didn't appreciate all this materials.

As a child, i yearned so much for the kind of life my uncle led. It was very much simplified. He sacrificed high-paying jobs, just to spend time with his kids. He loved them dearly, and my cousins never really understood why we weren't happy back at our own home.

Actually, my parents never really understand what kids want and need. It's not about all the toys that they will get or how they get to spend money so easily that really mattered. Kids are very innocent beings, all they want is just love and attention from their parents.
It really is, as simple as that.

And, thanks to my uncle... i've had a wonderful and blissful childhood.

No comments: