Thursday, August 20, 2009

Subconscious VS Conscious

The recent news about the Maintenance of Parents Act made my mom talked her talk of being abandoned by her 'unfilial' children. I wonder why, is it commonplace for all parents to say things like that to their children?

"Ah, next time you all grow up, I no need to depend on you all, because you all will throw me one side and heck care."

I've been hearing many variations to that line since 13. First from my dad, persistently insisting that my brother and I will end up not caring for them when they enter old age; or when we start working and that they know that they don't have to depend on us to provide for them.

Sometimes i wonder how these ridiculous assumptions could somehow be inbuilt into the subconscious mind and turn the assumptions into harsh reality in the future.

I'm sick of such talk, seriously.
With such continuation, the pessimism of such talks will surely turn the theoretical to reality.
I'm sure there's a better way to educate us than to bring us down, right?

There's so many mistakes committed by parents that I keep that in mind to not repeat in my future generation.

Just like this post made by a friend of mine:

When I was young, I had the habit of losing my house keys(yes you too, admit it) Now, I really didn’t understand what the big deal was, just make new keys.. it’s not as if I did it intentionally.

It’s not until one fine day when I got caned real bad for losing the keys. This time not only was I not given a new set of keys but I was grounded for all my other activities, I can’t go to the playground, no more basketball in school. Time flew by and I “earned” back the new set of keys. And as you may have guessed I lost this one too. Now, knowing what will happen when I get back home, I retraced my steps got my friends to help and did all I could as a little kid to find it. All was in vain and I dreaded going back home, my legs went weak as I recalled the last beating I got, my heart dropped as the thought of not being able to play basketball for another month is gonna happen. Let alone going back to school with bruises and being made fun off.

And so it did happen, I went down to hell and came back barely alive.

So the question was, did I want all these to happen? Did I intentionally lose the keys so I’d be reminded how pain felt? I lived in fear once I earned back those keys, in fact I remember refusing to go out lest I lose them again(of cos that didn’t last too long)

What reminded me was, the next time someone made a mistake, be it a bad judgment call, an item lost or even a reminder or an advise that was ignored, don’t step on him/her. Sometimes it’s bad enough that it happened, don’t make it worse. (else it might break relationships)


Parents sure should read widely on how to bring up effective and successful children and even if they don't, please - don't assume that you are right in everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your mum just wants assurance that you'll be there for her during her old age especially after your dad has left. Just assure her....