Friday, July 09, 2010

The Happiness Project

Taken off from The Happiness Project, there's a particular response to the interview conducted which resonates my thinking as well.

Do you work on being happier? If so, how?
I don’t know that I actively work on it, but I’m very aware of both the things I need in my life to make me happy and the things I have that make me fortunate. I really, really like things to be as straightforward and uncomplicated as possible, so I try to avoid drama and people who bring it along with them. I value honesty a lot, too, so I try always to be honest with people even if it’s unpleasant because in the end I feel better about myself and the way I’m living if I do. I can’t stand it when people avoid delivering bad news, or are just in denial in general. On a larger level, I try to remember how lucky I am to have the life and family and career that I have, and that usually even the things that frustrate me (a bad writing day, not enough babysitting for my son as I might like sometimes) are the product of choices I’ve made to have the life I want. When I actually take the time to think about it, I have a great life and it seems selfish to be unhappy.

No comments: