Saturday, December 25, 2010

Climbing Journey

I was going down the memory lane on Facebook, viewing my 1500+ photos there, reminiscing all those things that I've done, which seemed like so long ago.
I haven't really done a proper wrap up of my climbing journey in TJCCC, and this post is specially dedicated to it. My competitive climbing days started in JC 1 and I have never looked back since.

It all started with my very first competition in J1.

National Schools Sports Climbing Championships (NSSCC) @ Safra Yishun 2009
My very first official competition I had a podium finish, winning 3rd for A Div' Girls Difficulty category, and 1st for Speed Team which I proudly announce that my role was a clipper.

Thereafter I took part in Rockmasters at Singapore Poly which was a total disaster, I don't even remember finishing in what position, but it was my first bouldering comp. and I was glad to have been given the chance out of so many other girls.

Next competition was
Climb On 2009
And then it was our first overseas rock trip to Batu Caves, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was then, I fell in love with natural rock. It upped my footwork skills so much, trusting on seemingly nothing to a non-climber.

Rock trip @ Batu Caves, KL, M'sia, 2009
After the end of 2009, TJCCC started the year with French School! It had a unique competition style, comprising of bouldering and difficulty climbs. Despite not getting a podium finish, I was rather satisfied with my difficulty climb as shown below, with the only exception of the speed that I was climbing at. My climb always get terminated when I'm so close to the top yet so far away from finishing it.

French School Climbing Competition @ French School 2010
To be accurate, or rather, to be honest, I can't remember French School came first or Bouldermania. But they all happened in the first 2 months of the year before our March Common Tests came. Bouldermania had been one of my easiest bouldering comp ever, with so many girls breezing through the 4 problems that we ended up with a superfinals.

Bouldermania @ NTU 2010
After Bouldermania, it was Gravical at SMU. This time the entire club took part. And it was one of my proudest moments as the Training Coordinator of the climbing club because out of 10 girls, 7 of us were promoted to the Intermediate Category. I've never felt prouder of the club than ever before.

Gravical @ SMU 2010
At Gravical, I finished off at 2nd place for the Novice Women category. And our school was the leading JC in the National Bouldering League for A division.

After Gravical, we took part in Boulderactive organised by NUS as a club again.
It was my first bouldering competition where I took part in the Intermediate category and I missed the Inter finals by a spot. It was an achievement for myself and I was satisfied with my performance as well despite that. As for the schools ranking, we still competed in the Novice category, and I don't even remember getting what position but a lot of our girls came in top 5 and that sustained our school's ranking as number 1.

Boulderactive @ Orchard Central 2010
NSSCC 2010 was pushed forward so it happened before half the year was gone. It was another moment for the whole club to be ever so proud again. The boys clinched best overall school, and both the boys and girls cleanly swept the top 3 positions for the Difficulty climbs. I came in 2nd for difficulty losing to my all respected Valerie who got 1st and she totally deserved it because her climbing skills have always been better than mine but her mental strength was not as well conditioned, and with this competition, it was really where a strong foundation was built. I felt proud for her making another jump in her climbing journey.

National Schools Sport Climbing Championships (NSSCC) @ Safra Yishun 2010
After NSSCC, our club organised Climb X at our very own school, inviting other JCs as well as tertiaries to take part. It was another milestone for me as I clinched my first Champion's medal in a climbing competition.
Joining me on the podium were Kris, Ash and Val. I've never felt like I was such a deserving TC, but at that moment, it occurred to me that my efforts had paid off seeing the club shine competition after competition.

The very last bouldering competition was Pumpfest organised by NTU. It was my 2nd time taking part in the Intermediate category, and boy was I owned by the routes. Made me realised that there was so much so much more to learn in climbing, so much more to advance and taught me never to be complacent. It was a good exposure despite the routesetter claiming it was too difficult a standard for the Inter girls.

Pumpfest @ City Square Mall 2010
With this last competition of the year before we officially step down for the pure madness of A levels and its mugging phase, TJC came out as the top JC in the National Bouldering League. So many achievements within a mere one and a half years, I was proud beyond words of TJCCC.

The only disappointment I ever had in this school is the fact that Climbing as a sport is never recognised in school nor at the national level. It hurts when we had our Sports Appreciation ceremony and the Climbing Club was never once mentioned with regards to our achievements.

The blood, sweat and tears that have we have toiled through, fighting for that last bit, reaching out for the last hold will all be deeply remembered by each of us. Experiences be it unique, it had indeed left a legacy in the climbing scene for our year. I have never excelled so far in a sport before, and I am no doubt still thankful to the school for having such amazing facilities and providing us with a loving teacher-in-charge and a dedicated coach.

My climbing journey in TJC has thus far ended.

I look forward to the next phase.

Climbing has shaped my life and given me a new found determination and confidence I never knew I had. The photos of me gritting my teeth and reaching out for the next hold are pasted on the wall in front of my desk while I study for the past months, reminding me of how studies, like climbing, require undying efforts and hardwork.

Philip's inspiring words to always focus on the process of climbing, taught me to really treasure the littlest things in life - that some time, many years later, we might not remember what positions we achieved or how many competitions we have taken part in, but we'll always remember the journey in each climb being special and unique and we ought to take pride in every thing we have ever done because it has helped shaped us for who we are today.

Just to add to the whole nostalgia - http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=406331750987
The climbing video that Calvin made, it sure did bring back many memories.

1 comment:

drissie said...

10000X like this! so nostalgic and awwwww.. so much memories!