Thursday, February 02, 2012

Hard work

It took me a good 19 years of existence to understand the true meaning of hard work.

I thought I had been doing hard work. I just felt a breakthrough in my studies. It's so subtle. But the effect is overwhelming. It's tiring to upkeep the pace, there were times I felt like going with the flow, knowing some, oblivious to others. It was okay to gloss over the hard parts when I felt like I didn't understand. Effort. I didn't give it all.

Now, I try my best to understand the hard stuffs. I face it. I imagine the neurons making stronger connections as I keep making an effort to understand something that seemed so ancient. And the more I expose myself to the difficult and mysterious stuffs that I couldn't understand, the more I felt like things are falling into place. Almost like I have many eureka! moments when I make myself read it for the 4th time. I suddenly understand it. I know it's not "suddenly". It took me so much effort to understand the concepts. I think I might have found out why some people can score so well, and some mediocre.

Because, like every other thing in life, the best persevere till the very end, to make a difference. The rest come 10,000 miles, only to turn back at the last 10 steps.

I'm consistently walking the 10,000 miles the whole of my life, thinking I have put in a lot of effort, giving all my best. But subconsciously, I have been turning back at the last 10 steps whenever I face the most difficult part. And I lie to myself, by justifying with the power of reason that it was perfectly okay to turn back at those last steps.

This sem? I will walk the last 10 steps. I hope you do too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People only see the results & not the process... One will never know how many steps you have taken to get where you have gotten now. Similarly, you can never truly know how much effort people put in to achieve the results they have. More so in our society, where people rarely reveal how much effort they put in, due to some warped sense of modesty.

I hope you continue to walk the 10,000 miles, and more so after that. Don't walk back, 'cos progress doesn't lie in retracing your steps.