Thursday, September 03, 2009

Most powerful organ - the heart or the mind?

I wonder what I'll be doing right now if I had taken Biology. I have never really noticed my interest in the anatomy of the human body and the workings behind it until I realised this part of me always look forward to every Thursday where the Straits Times has Mind Your Body, and that would inevitably be the first piece i sieve through the pile before touching the rest of the things.

Technically I enjoy reading up about the various studies/research scientists are constantly doing and today I came across this article on how people are less likely to kick up a fuss when you insult them when they are lying down. Did I mention how my urine colour is almost clear and that signals really good hydration? I was never one keen on memorising a gazillion chunk of words only to regurgitate them out during exams, and that's probably why I've never considered Bio or History as the subjects of pursuit, but I've always had this keen interest in both subjects. I remember during those Higher Chinese lessons back in Sec 3/4 where we would have to move to a different class for lessons and I would rummage through some random person's desk and read her Bio textbook secretly under the table during lessons.

Detention yesterday was really a worthy experience i've never had before. Usually detention is associated with cleaning of toilets/classrooms/school compound etc. I think those who benefited the most are those who really sat down to reflect on what went wrong and how they could go about to amend the mistakes. Just two solid hours sitting down at the desk there penning down honest feelings made me think about how unique our school system is. I always have random fluttering thoughts in my mind making comparisons to how things were done in Secondary School and how the same things are being done in JC.

JC allows more flexibility to how the lessons are being structured and there are definitely more breaks in between albeit a longer school day. I sat in the library waiting for the 4 period break to end before my Econs period today and it reminded me a lot of how Uni life would be like in the future. As what my friend always says... "JC prepares you for Uni... go for it." Now i'm beginning to understand why. I am sure i will understand even more when I'm in Uni.

If only GP was recommended much earlier say in Upper Sec, it would have been so much more interesting. GP really widens the scope of one's readings and knowledge derived from the readings. I've always never had the time to indulge in leisure reading and GP is one way to allow me to do that; Lit as well. I don't understand why most people have this really shocked/impressed look on their faces when I say I'm taking Lit. It's as much as another content subject in the education system. Do you know that in the US, Lit is pretty much what they call English?

Let me digress... I still think I can relate better to older people. I don't know if that's a good/bad thing because I have trouble communicating with a handful of peers. I can't see things the way they see because of how I've been past the stage already. Is this the case of growing up too fast? My mom used to say how she wished her little girl would not be thinking so much about adult matters so soon... I wish to find back the innocence too, as much as that's the case, i am still very thankful for the experience and exposure i've had.

And I would say, the most powerful organ... is both the heart and the mind - the heart to feel and empathise and the mind to think with clarity; and the day that one exists without the other, is the day that my inner soul perishes.

FYI - My biggest birthday wish: An entry level DSLR! Bwahahahaha... There you go people. All my lovely friends can come together to chip in for this divine gift. (I always look at so many things every second in life and imagine it in the frames of the viewfinder and ask myself why don't i have the luxury of snapping pictures with the human eye...)

No comments: