Thursday, June 03, 2010

Reasons why one shouldn't be with someone much older/younger

败犬女王 has officially come to an end, no more waiting for 10p.m to arrive on every week nights. The relationship that the female and male lead had reminded me a lot of things about the past relationship I had. Theirs was a 8 year gap relationship, with the male being much younger, I'm sure they faced more obstacles and stigma from the society than I would if it happened real life, but nonetheless, I'm still able to experience the same kinds of difficulties they tried to overcome together.

Many times I always wonder to myself if I would find yet another one who is so much older than I am. I have reminded myself so many times that it's never going to work out. Initially I had confidence with myself during the initial years that we were together. I have never doubted myself nor him. With the influence of family and friends, my confidence started to waver. I started doubting our future, and perhaps, I also stopped being that naive. In the end, I realised we had very different goals for our future. I will still be pursuing my studies in the near 5 years, while he would be looking for someone to settle down with already, someone of a marriageable age. I was wasting his precious time, because he wasn't young anymore. Furthermore, both of our family backgrounds were vastly different, which led to different opinions and mindsets due to the different upbringing. I thought we were able to reconcile the differences especially with our age gap. It was merely a number that had already set the distance apart, whether it was physically or emotionally.

It was only when I started reflecting on all those times that I felt so out of place during family gatherings, during friends gatherings, that it wasn't possible. In this relationship, it has taught me a lot about dating. It's really isn't just about the 2 persons involved anymore. Friends do talk, families do comment, even society looks upon such an unconventional relationship just waiting for it to outlast itself. I had to consistently deal with the social stigma aside from juggling with the differences we had in our personalities. You know they say love would conquer everything? When faced with the harsh reality, I'd say it's bullshit. You can't carry on a relationship with objections from friends and families, especially the people closest to you, who doesn't even believe in the relationship from the beginning.

In shows, there are always happy endings. In real life, I don't think I can pull it off the same way. And yet again, I still pine for an older partner. Such is the viciousness of life.

No comments: