Thursday, September 16, 2010

Reverse psychology

I finally found an excuse to push aside the emotional dejected state of mind for screwing up my math paper today.

One of the ironies of human psychology is that desperately wanting something can make attaining that thing all the more difficult. When stakes go up, performance often goes down. In one study, subjects practiced sinking a putt and got better as they went along — better, that is, until the experimenter offered them a cash reward for their next shot, at which point their performance took a nosedive.

I wanted the A/B so badly, too badly, that I ended up screwing what I thought was an okay paper. It's like climbing and the competitions versus trainings. Except I don't find myself screwing as much in competitions as I do in exams.

Pick it up like a man and continue working hard for the next math paper. I've let myself wallowed in a daze enough for today, sleeping from 12am to 630am, then continuing the race from 2pm to 7pm. There's something wrong with my voracious appetite for sleep.

No comments: