Monday, February 20, 2012

Granny

To many, grandparents are the norm.

I have not had any grandparents since. Even if I did have, with the most recently deceased one, I barely had any of a relationship except that of a grand-daughter, grand-mother one. It stayed there.

Last night as I went over to visit my self-adopted granny, aka Chanel's granny, whom I have so affectionally called ah-ma since I known her, I was touched by many little acts of hers.

The immediate joy radiating from her could be seen so obviously as I stepped through the main door. I didn't know I could bring so much joy. We'd engaged in little talks. Even though it was way past the Chinese New Year, she went into her room and came out with a red packet for me. To top it off, she said she'd been waiting for me to come and had been saving it for me. She wished me good health and to continuously improve in my studies. Ever smiling, all I could manage was a tad of embarrassment because I haven't got oranges to wish her good health.

She got excited about her miniature bananas that she had bought from the market. And then as she offered me some goodies to snack on, I said I had an ulcer. Without a word, she came back with some medicated powder to apply onto my ulcer. I was beyond touched.
Old people will always be old people. But I've never met someone as adorable, lovable, mild and docile as her.

She's the epitome of the best grandma anyone could have asked for, even if she's not my biological one.

No comments: