Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Appreciative

Something hit me today - about how much appreciation each of us actually needs to continue functioning healthily. As I talk about giving in my previous post, I realised it's only saint's talk to want to give but not expect any returns. It's really impossible to achieve that state. I have been conditioned to give everything I've got, probably sometimes I slack in this little pursuit of excellence of mine, but other times I do my best to not disappoint myself.

Behind the glory of the title/position/status, I finally understood what he meant when he said, do so much for what? No one actually really appreciates or feels like they are a part of it. The job of delegation requires careful thought and consideration. It's finding the balance of giving someone the power to make decisions but still retaining authority and commanding respect to gather feedback about the task.
We may not be good leaders, and this is a precious lesson I've learnt.

Because one thing I know that I have failed in doing, is that after all of the behind-the-scene work, nobody feels like a part of what we have strived to create. Who really appreciates it? Everybody looks inwardly at their own little bubble of how much they have already done and how much they ought not to contribute anymore. I heave a sad sigh of revelation but the only way to go is forward, regardless of the amount of appreciation.

Because, a part of me knows, that this could be poor leadership. And I realised that I may not have been the most ideal one I thought I could be.


No comments: